5 Tips To Help You Select A Reliable Local Mobile Mechanic
In London, you’ll find many mobile mechanic services to choose from. The reason that many of these specialists choose to work this way is because they are able to offer lower prices because they have lower overhead charges, bearing in mind that a lot of them don’t have to pay rent or mortgage on a business premises.
There are, however, some disadvantages of working in this way though. The major one being that some consumers look upon mobile mechanics as being too risky to work with, since it may be hard to track down rogue ones who take the money and run. Search the Internet and you will find many horror stories of how some people have been burned by sub-standard work carried out by mobile mechanics. So it is very important to protect yourself and to know how to select a mobile mechanic that isn’t going to leave you worse off than you were prior to calling them.
Here are 5 considerations for you to keep in mind while selecting a mobile mechanic service:
1. Written Quotation – A good, experienced mechanic should have a really good idea how long a job will take to repair once he or she has diagnosed the problem. So a good trait to look for is their willingness to provide a written estimate and to stand by it when they take on the job. Obviously there could be new problems that are found once the work has been started. But this should be an exception, rather than the norm, for a good mechanic. Ask for a detailed written estimate before any work on your vehicle begins, and this will give you the comfort of knowing exactly what work you are authorizing and will prevent sticker shock when the final invoice is prepared and handed to you.
2. Communication Skills – The United States is a very cosmopolitan country made up of immigrants from many nations. This means many different languages are spoken and English is not always the first language. When it comes to selecting a mobile mechanic, it is important that you can converse fully, and there is no room left errors caused by misunderstandings or miscommunication. A mobile mechanic should clearly be able to explain his/her diagnosis in terms that you will understand. He/She need to explain what the problem is; how it occurred; how much damage there is; how they are going to repair the problem; how much it’s going to cost; and what kind of warranty is offered on both the parts and labor.
3. Written Guarantee – For any repair you need to get a written guarantee from your selected mobile mechanic. If they won’t offer you one – run! Reputable mobile mechanics aren’t just looking to repair your vehicle now, but they want to keep you as customer in the future, and for you to refer them to people you know. So with that in mind they are ready to stand by the work they do with a guarantee. Before you allow any work to be done on a car that is still within the manufacturer’s warranty period, you should check how any repair work will affect that warranty. Many mechanics can repair and service new cars without impacting the manufacturer’s statutory warranty. Don’t just take the mechanic’s word for it though, call your dealership first to double check.
4. Call Out Charges – Although mobile mechanics save money by not having a business premises to work from, they do incur travel charges when traveling to the customers’ location. So this is usually what a call out charge covers, plus the time taken to make a diagnosis. Always ask if this amount will be reduced from your final bill if you allow them to carry out any repair work on your vehicle. This doesn’t always automatically happen, but it is worth asking the question, before you call out the mechanic.
5. Servicing and Repair – The last thing you want is to have to vet a new mechanic each time you need work done on your vehicle – both emergency and non-emergency work. So choose a mobile mechanic that you feel you can build an on-going relationship with. So instead of choosing a mechanic that only does emergency repairs, try and find one that can also carry out routine servicing. Find a mobile mechanic that is good at what he/she does, and is reliable, and then you’ve struck gold. And your family and friends will thank you for your recommendation when they need this kind of work carried out. We hope this information will help you find a reliable mobile mechanic that you can trust to take care of your vehicle. We also hope the mechanic you choose is us – but regardless, the most important thing is that you continue to travel safely!